Saturday, August 23, 2014

:: Fermenting ::




Fermenting

So have you heard of "fermenting"  ?
It's nothing new, it's been done for quite awhile now.
But it's new to me - I'm using my new Crock - a special
birthday present from my thoughtful Hubby.

Here you will see my one gallon Crock (purchased from Amazon) is nicely packed with 2 heads Cabbage , 2 red onions, 
Minced Garlic, Spices and Herbs, (did I put in a chopped bell pepper..) and salt water brine. All mashed down to pieces and then when the brine had covered the veggies my weights were placed over to hold it all underneath while it sits and bubbles into fermention. Haha.

The upside of it all is that you get a natural high quailty dose of Probiotics from your food; it is naturally preserved without any work at all really on your part; and you are not heating or vinegarizing which kills off the beneficial bacteria. 

SauerKraut anyone ?

I'm following these instructions basically - and my house totally smells like cabbage and onions and it's only 4 days in. =)


On the knitting front, because there is always a knitting front,

...... I have almost finished a beautiful new Elizabeth Shawl by Amy Miller. Baby Alpaca / Cashmere / Silk . This is something to dream about. Off now to play cards with my boys ! We had such a wonderful homeschooling week - amazing life. x




No comments:

Post a Comment